Thursday, December 8, 2011

So You Want to Write a Screenplay

Since you're all caught up on where I'm at, I thought it would be fun to talk about my absolute favorite thing to do: screenwriting.  It's what got me into filmmaking in the first place.  I believe the hardest part of writing is getting started.  Here's how I do it, and I'll use my current screenplay, Trust Us, as an example:

1) Plot: Come up with a great story.  This, of course, is easier said than done.  Sometimes it takes years for that idea to spark.  This is also one of those things that can't really be taught.  When you think about it, it's actually impossible.  The second someone gives you an idea it's already not yours anymore... it's theirs!  This one has to be up to you.  Think about your favorite movies, genres, life experiences, personal fantasies, current news... there's an idea in there somewhere.  I'm more drawn to fiction.  The idea of my current screenplay came to me a long time ago, when I was around the age of its main character, Guy.  What if I could go back in time and make sure my younger self (me at the time) does everything right... makes all the right choices and erases all the bad ones.  That would be pretty cool, right?  Well, no, not really, and that's how I got to step 2...

2) Theme: Okay, my movie is about time travel, and yours could be about anything, but what is it really about?  Why would our audience want spend two of their hours watching our movie?  I strive for three basic things to make it worth their while: first, I want to release an emotion from the viewer, whether it's happiness, sadness, fun... whatever... I think good writing makes people feel something in a big way.  Second, I want the audience to learn something about his or herself they may not have known.  I think this is the hardest thing to do... but a strong theme is essential for this.  Have your audience think about your theme then decide what they think... and best of all, if they are doing that, they probably cared about and loved what they just saw.  Audiences appreciate that, whether it's consciously or subconsciously.   And finally, I think it's important for the audience to think about the film beyond the viewing.  If they go in and go home, forgetting everything that happened, the first two goals we just set for our movie lose their effect pretty fast.

For Trust Us, I grew a bit older and realized that if I didn't make any mistakes along the way, I'd wouldn't be who I am today.  Everyone can relate to regret and that's the core conflict in my film... why people should embrace the harder parts of life.  Deep, right?  I hope so, because the theme is how we help people get emotionally involved.  Now, what's the theme of your screenplay?  Once you have discovered this, everything gets much easier because from here on out, every action, piece of dialogue, and character should pretty much always be driving this idea into the audience's minds.  The more important way to do this is through the main character.  But who will that be?

3) The Protagonist: This guy or gal better be pretty interesting or you're audience will be really, really bored.  You could have a great plot and theme, but if you do it through someone no one can relate to, it's very hard to grab an audience's attention.  In traditional stories, make the main character a likable good guy.  Yes, if the story is about a serial killer or depicts some mean spirited villain who'll get his by the end, then fine, we can hate the protagonist.  For the other 95% of screenplays, it's best to make the main character likable and interesting.  Just as importantly, three dimensional characters are critical.  If your main character doesn't change (unless that is the point of the movie), then why drag people out to see this in the first place?  If you're stuck here, maybe try to start by thinking of a fatal flaw your hero may have.  After all, if they don't have one, and your hero is too perfect, how can they make themself better?

In my script's case, what kind of character would be traveling back in time to himself?  How about making this guy one of the greatest scientists of all time... but what was he like in college?  Probably an introverted workaholic.  Maybe he could have been cool but he chose science over his social life.  Yeah, that's more interesting to me than some stereotypical straight-A student.  Now just put it all together: how does your main character change due to the theme and plot of the story?  Once you have that, you're really on a roll.  Of course, you can't make it too easy for your main character.  But who would dare get into your new creation's way?  Your even newer one... your antagonist!

4) The Antagonist: Okay, your antagonist doesn't have to be the villain, but at the very least make it someone who tries to stop your main character from going three dimensional on you.  Want a good way to come up with a great villain?  Find the bizzaro version of your protagonist.  Find someone who is simultaneously just like your hero while also being the complete opposite.  This is what I mean: In my script, Guy is obsessed with being successful and inventing a time machine and so is my villain, Dr. Hughes.  Guy learns he builds one in the future from his older self, but what if he was told he was going to fail at it instead?  Maybe he'd have ended up just like the jealous, self-loathing antagonist of the story.  In a nutshell, Dr. Hughes is Guy gone wrong.  Always keep one thing in mind, though.  The antagonist should do everything he/she can to stop the protagonist from reaching his goal and third dimension.  Something else you may want to try to keep your antagonist interesting?  Let the audience find something to like about your villain.  It could be anything, even if it's one small area that makes the villain better than the hero.  Let your villains be each others yin and yang.

5) Other Characters: Next you want to have other characters to support your protagonist.  In my case, Guy's best friend, his roommate Ted, and his love interest and future wife, Alison.  Make them not only push the protagonist to change, but also have the protagonist reciprocate for them in some way.  Otherwise these supporting characters will just disappear and be forgettable.  Ted pushes Guy to relax and be more social, while Alison makes Guy aware of the theme of the film itself, encouraging him not to regret his past mistakes.  Guy also helps them in his own way... but wow, I'm really giving too much away already!

Okay, so we have our plot, theme, and characters.  Now we have to write the darn thing, right?  So many people stop at this point.  Don't do it!  Seriously, don't you dare.  We are terrible, terrible, horrible quitters, right?!  Good!  Now I find I'm ready to write when I've been obsessing about all this until I can't take it anymore and I just start typing away, but I usually need some kind of structure and direction when I do this.  Yup, we have to make a story out of all these ideas.  Don't worry... it's not so bad... it's not as hard as it looks before you start typing away.  Get ready for structure, scenes, and getting through your first draft...

No comments:

Post a Comment