Friday, April 20, 2012

Build Your Arsenal, Screenwriting is Free!

One thing that screenwriting has over filmmaking, without question, is that it's free.  Free to do for free!  You don't need millions or hundreds of thousands of dollars to do it.  You don't need to develop or color correct the paper you write on. You don't even need to pitch to investors in order to write one.  Anyone can write a screenplay, an art in its own right.  If a screenplay makes it to the big screen, consider yourself lucky, but if you're not making one now or you plan to make more than just one film, build your arsenal of screenplays if you're a writer.

I haven't made a feature film yet, so I have lots of time to write.  Okay, that's not entirely true, but there's enough time for it.  We all work and we all need to make money, but I actually need to write, too, especially when I'm not making a movie.  And let me tell you, I have a lot of screenplays.  Tons.  I'm prepping to write a new one as I write this... literally.  It's up on another window on my computer right now!  I'm sick in the head; I can't stop myself.  Some writers feel they must perfect the one script they have and put all their efforts into that one idea.  I agree it should be the focus, but if you don't spend any of your energy on other projects, you better hope people like the one you're entirely fixated on.  What's more, let's say you do make it big with one great film, people are going inevitably start asking you, "What else you got, son?"  I hope you have something in that case, because as quickly as you can get hot, you can just as quickly fizzle out.  Don't you want to be able to say, "I've got this, and this, and that!  What interests you most, big man?"  Okay, don't call anyone "Big Man."  But seriously, build your arsenal!  Turn a super soldier into an army!  You're current project may be general, but you need some captains and cadets and whatever else.  The more projects you have, no matter how far along, the more likely you are to catch someone's eye.  Then it's on to the next one.  Use any time you aren't working on your current project on making another good screenplay great.

In my opinion, the more different each project is, the better.  A lot of producers or investors continue making the same kinds of movies, so even if they don't want to do three ideas because it's not their thing, they may take the fourth one if it is.  If you have a drama, comedy, action, AND thriller... just ask them what they're looking for and pitch what they want.  I have all sorts of genres prepared... some way further along than others.  But they're all full, workable ideas that can probably use another draft or two... or three.  The point is you have them in a place where you can either pitch it, show it, or at least do a very quick revision and then send it along.  But again, the more variety and the more in number, the more likely someone will show interest, especially after a hit if you're that lucky.  If you're hot, stay hot.

I remember my first day of advanced film production way back in college.  My professor, who I never took a class with up to this point, asked the class what everyone wanted to do one day in film.  Who wants to direct?  About 75% of the class raised their hands, including me.  Who wants to be a D.P.?  Several more raised their hands, and so on.  By the time we got to sound, I think we had one.  He was making a point:  almost everyone wants to direct.  He then told everyone to look around at the non-directors.  Take a look at these people, these are the ones you want working on your films.  He also asked the directors what kind of films they want to make, what genre.  He went around the room, and everyone gave the answer: they want to do comedies, horror, action, and so on.  I was honestly so confused.  All I could think about was, "Do I really have to pick one?"   I was one of the last ones down the line and I simply said, "I want to do one of each, and when I'm done, I'll think about doing them again."  Now I was trying to be cute here, and I got a laugh from the class.  I was serious though.  I was twenty years old and dead serious.  I remember a little smirk from my professor after that.  We're still in touch to this day and meet every so often.

I guess my point to my story is don't limit yourself.  Write about whatever you feel like writing about.  If you stick to just horror or something else, that's fine too, but don't feel you need to be stuck on one kind of movie if you're not.  Build up your arsenal.  Maybe the project that you think is first is third, or second is last, or whatever.  It may be less about what you feel is your next project and more about who's financing or what a producer may want to go with.  Seriously, if you give five scripts over one, your odds increase like crazy.  I'd say five times more, but it may even be more than that.  Now you have scripts that aren't alike, and each person you're pitching to is different, so I believe it raises your odds even more.

So if you feel you could be doing something and you're a screenwriter, you're right.  No more excuses; screenwriting is FREE.  That's a lot less money to send than a few million bucks... by, oh, about a few million bucks!  But hurry up already and stop wasting time on waiting.  Because face it, a filmmaker is always waiting, whether it's for their first project to happen or even their twentieth.   And it can take a lifetime to write 20 great scripts.  So what are you waiting for?  Gather all your ideas and write!  It's the one thing you don't need money for... no excuses.  On your marks, get set, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment